Although it cannot be proved conclusively, the Monument to All Veterans probably sits on the site of the original log cabin church of 1737. When the church doors are open, one can see from the monument right down the main aisle to the pulpit and the choir loft behind. It is a reminder that the stone sanctuary erected in 1771 is an 18th century structure, requiring extensive repair and upgrading over the centuries. Recent years have seen many renovations, bringing the Sanctuary and Christian Education building into the 21st century in excellent repair. Over a period of three years, the entire church was repointed. The work was done by an Englishman, Joe Forrest, and his two grandsons. This highly skilled stonemason, who had worked on restoring several historic churches in Britain, applied all his knowledge and experience to this project, replacing the previous pointing that was actually degrading the stone, and working with material similar to that used in the original structure. This ensured that the Sanctuary will maintain its architectural integrity for a long time.
It was also necessary to replace the cedar shake roof of the Sanctuary, and that was made possible, in part, through generous donations from congregational members. The congregation is particularly indebted to Oakford Schalick, who lived long enough to see the project completed. The roof and some windows in the Christian Education Building also needed to be replaced, in addition to the interior and exterior painting of the Sanctuary and some rooms in the Christian Education building. In 2023, the slate sidewalks were replaced, and a retaining wall built on the street side of the church. All of these projects have been overseen and managed by the Property Committee with exemplary attention to detail. In addition to the fabric upgrades, our cemetery grounds have been kept in immaculate condition. Those whose loved ones lie within our bounds can be thankful our dead are honored by maintaining orderly and carefully managed sites.
In 2020 another monument was installed and dedicated in our churchyard to honor and remember the Jews murdered in the Holocaust during the years 1939-1945. Dr. Kenneth Larter has had a lifelong attachment to the Jewish people and Israel, and during his pastorate made three trips to Israel, as well as a journey to Holocaust sites in Poland. Once again, Elder Joe Ross was the architect who worked with Kenneth Freitag to see the project to its conclusion. The local Jewish community was tremendously supportive, and played an important part in our dedication ceremony, and at a subsequent memorial service for Rabbi Kohn, a friend and Holocaust survivor who fully supported our project.
The most important spiritual development of recent years was the successful conclusion of seeking a gracious dismissal from our former denominational connection, the Presbyterian Church USA. Over a three-year period, ending in the Spring of 2019, the congregation remained totally united in its desire to align with a Bible believing Presbyterian Church honoring the historic Christian Gospel. Following our dismissal by the West Jersey Presbytery, we were graciously received into the fellowship of the Evangelical Presbyterian Church, Presbytery of the East.
In January of 2023, Doctor Kenneth Larter, the longest serving pastor in the history of Deerfield Presbyterian Church, retired after twenty and a half years of service. This marked not only an ending, but the beginning of a new phase of the congregation’s life and ministry.
In February, 2025, Deerfield Presbyterian Church installed Rev. Tyler Stanhope as Pastor. Rev. Stanhope continues to lead Deerfield Presbyterian Church in its commitment to the gospel of Jesus Christ through the preaching and teaching of the Word of God, Administration of the Sacraments, and through regular prayer, building on nearly 300 years of faithful ministry as Deerfield continues to strive to be the family the God has called his church to be.
Pastors of Deerfield
- Andrew Hunter 1746-1760
- Simon Williams 1764-1766
- Enoch Green 1767-1776
- John Brainerd 1777-1781
- Simeon Hyde 1783-1783
- William Pickles 1786-1787
- John Davenport 1795-1805
- Nathaniel Reeve 1808-1817
- Francis S. Ballentine 1819-1824
- Alexander McFarlane 1826-1830
- John Burtt 1830-1831
- George D. McCuenn 1831-1836
- Benjamin Tyler 1837-1842
- Jacob W.E. Ker 1842-1855
- Thomas Ware Cattell, PhD. 1855-1860
- R. Hamill Davis, PhD. 1860-1875
- William H. Dinsmore 1876-1877
- Edward P. Herberton 1877-1880
- James D. Hunter 1880-1883
- Alfred J. Snyder 1884-1892
- John Turner 1893-1896
- Daniel I. Camp 1896-1905
- T.C. Stirling, M.D. 1905-1907
- William McKnight 1908-1910
- John W. Bischoff 1910-1915
- E.C. Musselman 1915-1920
- R.W. Baskerville 1921-1924
- Howard A. Clark 1925-1934
- Graeme C. Smith 1935-1938
- Melvin Morris 1939-1940
- John Pott 1941-1943
- Andrew Graham 1943-1946
- J. Irvine Prather 1946-1948
- Harold Gauntt 1948-1949
- Charles Franklin Van Horn 1949-1956
- John Stockton Baird, S.T.D. 1956-1967
- Clayton D. Fairo 1968-1969
- William Sterling Smythe 1970-1973
- Norman A. Koop, M.Div., Th.M. 1973-1990
- William Borror 1993-1995
- Randy Otto 1996-2000
- Kenneth C. Larter D.Min., Pastor Emeritus, 2002-2023
- Tyler Stanhope, 2025 - present